It’s an early release and the piece is out there! Thank you to all the beautiful people who show up in the hour, and to the hundreds more who didn’t. To everyone who was a part of this listening walk: I’ll be forever grateful. You’ve given me more than I ever would have dreamed to ask.
Here’s the link for the piece: http://transom.org/?p=33988
If you’re looking for more voices, images, or thoughts from the road, I’ll be working on a smaller project with the folks at Cowbird, more little stories to be released in the upcoming weeks: http://cowbird.com/project/walkingacrossamerica/
A huge thank you to Jay Allison for all the guidance, and Viki Merrick, Melissa Allison, Sam Broun, Sydney Lewis, and Sarah Reynolds. Thanks to Annie Correal from Cowbird for collaborating. A shout out to Hugh Birmingham and the wicked Coffee Obsession for welcoming me here in Woods Hole, oh yeah, and for the job. To all the people I met on the walk. And the biggest thank you of all to my family: Dad, Caitlin, Luke, and especially Mom. Love you.
Some tech notes for internet beginners
To listen to the piece:
- Simply click on the first link (or copy and paste it into your browser, you know, where you type “www.whatever.com”).
- Click the play button at the top of the page (you know, the button with the triangle on it), sit back and enjoy the show.
- Feel free to scroll around down and check out the page, too, to read up a little on the process of creating this thing, to see photos of some of the people who show up in the piece, to see the Cowbird project below.
To visit the Cowbird project:
- Click on the second link above.
- You’ll see a collage of photos. Some have a little microphone in the bottom lefthand corner. The ones that do have an audio component to them (not all). Click on any photo that intrigues you.
- The photo will appear on the big screen and if the story has audio, the audio will kick in.
- The audio’s playing (if the story has audio) and the photo is on the big screen, right? Now look up to the top right hand corner. There are a bunch of right and lefthand arrows. If you click on the single righthand arrow, you will be taken to the next layer of the story, the text. The audio will keep playing. You can go back to the big photo by click the single lefthand arrow that appears. The double arrows will take you to the next story altogether (backward or forward, depending). Don’t click that until you’re ready to move on.
- These stories are multi-layered. Image/s, text, audio. The idea is to give just a glimpse. I’ll be coming out with more in the coming weeks. Enjoy!